DVD Review: Labor Day

And you thought your life was weird.

Henry (Gattlin Griffith) is somewhat torn between his divorced parents, Adele (Kate Winslet) and Gerald. (Clark Gregg) He chooses to live with his mother, who is suffering from a deep depression. One day at the grocery store, Henry offered a wounded man, Frank (Josh Brolin) a ride. He talks is way into their house, and it turns out he's an escaped convict. But his presence there changes Adele and Henry in ways they were not expecting.

Jason Reitman is a director that I have high expectations of. He's turned out great movies over the past few years, but I suppose directors have to falter sometime, and this film is easily Reitman's worst. It's not to say it's completely horrible. Winslet, Griffith and Brolin all give great performances, and the story itself is pretty interesting, it's just plagued with a few choices I didn't care for. The film frequently jumps into flashbacks of Brolin and Winslet's characters when they were young, and the transition is not smooth. Then there's Henry's little teenage girlfriend who I wanted to strangle throughout the entire movie. 

The ending also felt a little unexplained, I guess it's more clear in the novel, but I felt like it didn't answer all my questions.  

Recommended: No/Yes. It's not the best movie out there, but like I said. Performances are good.

Grade: C

Memorable Quote: "Who says I don't?" - Henry (Gattlin Griffith)

Comments

  1. Yup, yup, yup! This movie was...weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Reitman doesn't do something like this again. He's better than that.

      Delete
  2. Wow. You were waaaay more kind than I was.

    That little chick was the worst character in the history of everything ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I was. I actually wrote this review back on May 9th, and when I went to post it I was like "I thought I was more of an asshole about this film?" I guess not.

      Delete
  3. Good review Brittani. I respect what Reitman was trying to do here, but honestly, it just didn't really work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I may have been a little harsh on him, but it's only because I have such high expectations for his work.

      Delete
  4. It had some moments where I think Jason Reitman is trying to do something different but it didn't work as a whole despite the good performances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah...thsi movie is a bit of a mess. it gets better in the latter half, but then, like you wrote, it leave a lot of things unclear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a better ending would've involved someone running over that teenage girl. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm pretty much with you all the way here. Good performances, but the movie could be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully Reitman makes up with whatever he's doing next.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum