FTS presents: Paul Thomas AnderJune!



This month at the always wonderful French Toast Sunday, Paul Thomas Anderson is the director in the spotlight. I've decided to rank the films of his I've seen.

1) There Will Be Blood
My favorite PTA film includes stellar performances by Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano. There's just so much to admire here. The film is wordless for the first 15+ minutes, the score is tense, you never quite know when Daniel Plainview is going to lose his shit, but you know it's going to happen. The ending was so shocking to me that I literally just sat there with my mouth hanging open for awhile.

2) The Master
It was tough choosing which one I liked better between The Master and Boogie Nights, but I went with the former because I found the story itself a bit more interesting. Plus, Philip Seymour Hoffman ruled this movie, and I sorely miss him.

3) Boogie Nights
This might have one of the best (and most outrageous) endings in movie history: Dirk Diggler giving himself a pep talk, before whipping out his massive cock that we've heard so much about, but hadn't seen at that point.

4) Magnolia
Magnolia was one that I didn't care for it as much when I first saw it back in high school. I just felt like there was so much to take in, and the length kind of made the movie drag for me. When I re-watched it a few years ago, I had a completely different experience. I appreciated it a lot more.

5) Punk-Drunk Love
This is probably the best performance Adam Sandler has even given. (and it makes him even more annoying to me now knowing he's capable of starring in movies that aren't complete shit) This film was unique, and one that I really should rewatch. 

Comments

  1. If you switched this list around you would have my favorite PTA flicks. Don't get me wrong I love There Will Be Blood, but I will rewatch Punch Drunk Love before I watch that one again. I do agree it is sad that Adam Sandler doesnt do better roles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very depressing. It's been so long since I've seen Punch-Drunk Love. I do need to see it again.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I really need to see Paul Thomas Anderson's work. There's a few of those movies that I just keep hearing about that I never seem to get around to seeing, and one of those is There Will Be Blood. Maybe it'd be a good choice for next year's blindspot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Put that on your Blind Spot, that film is a masterpiece.

      Delete
  3. Haven't seen 4 and 5, but really want to see them. Maybe I'll do it now during PTA month. I've been obsessed with There Will Be Blood ever since it came out, I love everything about it -- from those jaw-dropping intense scenes to the desolate desert... it's beautiful.

    The Master was one that I liked as well, even though I went with all those voices about how the movie isn't great. I agree that Hoffman was really good in it, and I'm really looking forward to seeing Phoenix work with PTA again in Inherent Vice :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending of TWBB blew my mind. That was so intense. Hoffman was perfect in The Master. God, I miss that guy..

      Delete
  4. So I'm guessing you haven't seen Hard Eight? It's really an amazing film and certainly one of Anderson's funniest. Here's my list of the films of P.T. Anderson that I've seen so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen Hard Eight. Thank you for sharing your list! Off to read.

      Delete
  5. Magnolia may be my favorite of his, but damn TWBB is a great fucking film and PTA did such a great job with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did! I really dug The Master. I don't think that would rank high on many people's PTA lists, but I really, really loved that film.

      Delete
  6. Great post! Like Rachel, Magnolia is probably my favorite PTA film, but There Will Be Blood is a very close second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TWBB, such perfection. I wish Dano would've gotten an Oscar nomination for that.

      Delete
  7. I'm ashamed to say that I have not had the privilege of seeing any of PT Anderson's films yet. I'm especially curious to see Magnolia. Hope to see it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. REALLY?! Wow. I don't think I've known anyone that hasn't seen at least one. I hope you get to check out his work soon.

      Delete
    2. Well thanks for making me even worse for not being familiar w/ his work. There are just soooo many films in the entire universe that one is bound to miss out on, it just so happens that my current *blindspot* is PTA's work.

      Delete
  8. I've seen all his stuff. He's a real unique director. I like his style. Nice ranking. Totally agree with your #1 and your last rank, since Punch-Drunk Love was...his least developed film.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice list! TWBB is my favorite PTA film as well. I love that opening sequence. You're so right... you just know this guy is gonna snap. But when?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved his church scenes as well. "I've abandoned my child." That was some heavy stuff!

      Delete
  10. I have mixed opinions on PTA, he normally goes one way or the other for me. My favourite film of his is Boogie Nights!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum