Indie Gems: Water Lilies

Well, this is confusing.

Water Lilies (aka Naissance des pieuvres) follows two 15 year old synchronized swimmers in France as they try to navigate their confusing adolescence. On one hand, we have Marie (Pauline Acquart, a mini Scarlett Johansson) and Anne. (Louise Blanchere) Marie is painfully shy, and finds herself attracted to Floriane, (Adele Haenel) the captain of their swim team. Anne is more adventurous, but she's overweight and sets her sights on losing her virginity to a popular boy.

This is one of my favorite foreign language films. I still remember the first time I watched it. I was bored, it was on IFC, the synopsis didn't seem that intriguing at first, but I was immediately pulled into it. The acting is top notch, I don't know a lot about French cinema, but I imagine these three girls will have long careers in it. The last shot of this film is absolutely beautiful too. I think it's one of my all time favorites.

Grade: A

Memorable Quote: "The ceiling is probably the last thing most people see. And when you die, the last thing you see it printed in your eye like a photo. Imagine all the people with ceilings in their eyes." - Marie (Pauline Acquart)

Comments

  1. I love your indie gem film selections, they always seem like good movies! I'll definitely put this on my list

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I've heard of this, but I still haven't seen it. I'll have to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm sold! I need to see this. You said French and I said "when can I get my hands on this!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you like it! I absolutely love this one. It's easily one of my favorite French films.

      Delete
  4. Very interesting sounding movie. Surprised I've never even heard of this. Thanks for opening my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time! It's not that old either. 2007, I think?

      Delete
  5. Yep. I'm in. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Indie Gems, too! I like French films, too, so I'll see it if I manage to get my hands on it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum