Review: Maleficent

I know you...

This retelling of one of my favorite Disney movies ever starts with a young Maleficent. (Issobelle Malloy as a teen, Angelina Jolie as an adult) She's nothing like the one we already know. She's kind, sweet, and has beautiful wings. She meets a boy named Stefan (Michael Higgins as a teen, Sharlto Copley as an adult) they grow to be friends, she falls in love with him, his ambition to be king outweighs his feelings for his friend, so he drugs her and cuts off her wings to secure that. This act of betrayal turns Maleficent into the evil being we know her as. Like Sleeping Beauty, she curses Stefan's daughter Aurora (Elle Fanning) to prick her finger and fall asleep on her 16th birthday. Aurora is supposed to be cared for by three fairies, but they suck at their job to put it lightly. Maleficent is the one that ends up quasi raising her and bonding with her.

I fell asleep while watching Snow White and the Huntsman, the other "dark" Disney version that this will undoubtedly be compared to. This film never had a dull moment for me. It was cool seeing this revision. Maleficent has a softer (and sassy) side that that wasn't known to us before, and Stefan is the truly evil one. 

Jolie was perfect for this role, I couldn't see anyone else pulling it off the way she did. The effects were beautiful (even though seeing poor Juno Temple, Imelda Staunton and Lesly Manville as fairies was a little disturbing) and the music was very whimsical. 

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "....what?" - Maleficent (Angelina Jolie)

Comments

  1. I really want to see this one. I didn't care for Snow White and the Huntsman either. Charlize Theron made that movie for me. Kristin Stewart was just awful. It was like 'Twilight meet my friend Medieval Times.' I'm glad 'Maleficent' is better. I'm going to see if I can see this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it this much, I found the script to be a little too half assed to truly enjoy it. The whole backstory had potential but they didn't use it enough, hell there wasn't even a reference to what that evil dude did to her in final confrontation.

    But I did enjoy Fanning/Jolie pchemistry and Angelina's performance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point about their final confrontation.

      Delete
  3. I doubt I'll see this one, as I'm kind of done with all these damn live-action retellings. And I've only seen one of them. The worst one.

    Glad you liked it, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, bummer. If you do ever end up watching this, know it isn't as bad as SWATHM

      Delete
  4. so glad to hear this was good! Snow White and the Huntsman was just awful, and more revisionist than "dark." boooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is very revisionist too, but I thought it was in a good way.

      Delete
  5. Great review, have to agree that Ange was perfect for the role! Shame some of the other elements didn't gel as well for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's no problem! It definitely had it's weak points.

      Delete
  6. I didn't love this movie.. but I didn't think it was terrible either. I just wish that Maleficent had been more evil and not made into a good character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see a lot of people didn't like that. I didn't mind at all, she's an interesting character, good or bad.

      Delete
  7. I wish they had used the original score from the animated version...that was more whimsical and also terrifying at times! Angelina IS this movie. Without her as this role, it would have completely tanked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh for sure. I didn't like Lana Del Ray's cover of Once Upon A Dream though. It fit the tone, but it sounded awful.

      Delete
  8. I was disappointed with the film, but Jolie was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you liked it! There's still hope! That picture is so beautiful, and I am so excited to see Jolie again. Thanks for sharing, Brittani!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum