Review: How To Train Your Dragon 2

Dracarys. 

How to Train Your Dragon is one of my favorite animated films of all time. That score, the shots of the dragons flying, I just loved it. I raged when Toy Story 3 won the Best Animated Oscar over it. Now we're back for its sequel, and honestly, it's just as good. 

It's been 5 years since we last saw Hiccup (Jay Baruchel) he's still riding Toothless, and exploring the world. His father, Stoick (Gerard Butler) wants him to become the chief of Berk so he can retire, but Hiccup doesn't want that. He's still with Astrid (America Ferrara, who kind of got on my nerves this time around) and she's been racing dragons with their other friends. Hiccup runs across some dragon catchers, led by Eret (Kit Harington) who are helping build a dragon army for the mysterious Drago. (Djimon Hounsou) He's going to wage war. In the process of trying to stop this, Hiccup also runs across his long lost mother, Valka. (Cate Blanchett)

John Powell is back with yet another magnificent score. The animation in this one blows the previous film out of the water. The flying scenes are a little more intricate, and there's one hell of a battle scene, animated-wise, anyways. Sure Dragons 2 gets a little predictable and cheesy at times (of course, it's a kids movie) but it's still very enjoyable, and I hope they do a 3rd.

Also have you ever rooted for an animated couple this much?




LOOK AT THEM!

Recommended: Yes

Grade: A+

Memorable Quote: "TAKE ME NOW!" - Ruffnut (Kristen Wiig)

Comments

  1. Glad to hear that this is a very good sequel. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! :) Dreamworks have certainly got a good thing going with HTTYD. The best part is, we've only got to wait 2 years for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've announced it already? Yessss!

      I never thought I'd be excited for a kids movie.

      Delete
  3. Good review Brittani. It's surprisingly very dark, yet, still feels like it's accessible to most kids who need to learn a little bit about life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a little darkness makes things more interesting for kids. The Black Cauldron and The Hunchback of Notre Dame were always my favorites as a kid, and those are darker.

      Delete
  4. Its not everyday when a sensible sequel comes out. I just watched the first dragon movie earlier in the week and really enjoyed it, so I'm be looking forward to this sequel at some point. Good review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I think about it, I think I actually liked this one better.

      Delete
  5. Amen to all you said Brittani. I hope they keep up with the quality for the 3rd movie, which I can't wait to see! John Powell's score is really amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will. The detail in this film was amazing.

      Delete
  6. I saw this yesterday in 3D at the IMAX and it was truly amazing! The story was great (even as a sequel) and yes I am 100% rooting for Hiccup and Astrid :-) Sooo cute!!

    I read in Empire that this was commissioned as a Trilogy, my Dad said it's because they have to explain why there are no dragons in the world now!! This could mean the end for Toothless (noooooooooo I hear you cry!! How could they!?) I really hope he's wrong!

    Will be reviewing this myself very soon but it will read very similar to your Brittani I'm sure! :-)

    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that too! Are all the dragons going to go all "Her" on us and leave like the OS' did?

      Delete
  7. Looking forward to this one. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I loved it way more than an adult is supposed to, I think.

      Delete
  8. Glad to see someone else thinks the first one is better than Toy Story 3. :) I enjoyed this one too, but I like the previous film more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! If this is the rating then I am definitely watching it with my family. I started accompanying them with such shows when we started watching series by Andy Yeatman on Netflix. It was our luck that we found it online and I can still watch the series on repeat.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum