2019 Academy Award Nominations


The most wonderful time of the year (for Film Twitter) is here and it's...well...it's something. If you're a huge fan of Roma (I wasn't) then you're probably over the moon. Super Hero Fatigue™ still proves to be bullshit as Marvel walks away with 9 nominations, and for some reason the Academy still can't use their 10 fucking slots. Here are the nominees + my quick thoughts. 


Best Picture
Black Panther”
A Star Is Born 
Roma
The Favourite
Vice
Bohemian Rhapsody
Green Book
BlacKkKlansman
This is so dumb. Just pick 10 movies. The fact that Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book are taking time away from better movies and they STILL didn't pick 10 is just egregious. I'm happy Black Panther got in since that was still a bit of a question mark. I hope it wins. 

Best Actress
Glenn Close: The Wife
Lady Gaga: A Star Is Born
Yalitza Aparicio: Roma
Olivia Colman: The Favourite
Melissa McCarthy: Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Simon asked the best question here. Close and Gaga aren't nearly as good as Toni Collete, Elsie Fisher, Thomasin McKenzie, Viola Davis, OR Carey Mulligan were in their films this year (I'd throw in McCarthy too, to be honest) Please for the love of God let Olivia Colman win this.  

Best Actor
Christian Bale: Vice
Bradley Cooper: A Star Is Born
Viggo Mortensen: Green Book”
Willem Dafoe: At Eternity’s Gate
Rami Malek: Bohemian Rhapsody
I'm really bummed John David Washington couldn't sneak in. Willem DaFoe is the surprise nom, stealing that obscure indie slot from Ethan Hawke. I'll have to find this movie and watch it now.


Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams: Vice
Marina de Tavira: Roma
Regina King: If Beale Street Could Talk
Emma Stone: The Favourite
Rachel Weisz: The Favourite
I know everyone loves Roma but de Tavira is a huge head scratcher for me because she didn't do anything in Roma. 

Best Supporting Actor
Mahershala Ali: The Green Book
Adam Driver: BlacKkKlansman
Sam Elliott: A Star Is Born
Richard E. Grant: Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Sam Rockwell: Vice
Sam Elliott played himself in A Star Is Born so that's a completely underwhelming nod for me. Twitter seems to hate Rockwell's nod, which I don't mind. I think Carrell was slightly better in Vice but he's better than Elliott.


Best Director
Spike Lee: BlacKkKlansman
Pawel Pawlikowski: Cold War
Yorgos Lanthimo: The Favourite
Alfonso Cuarón: Roma
Adam McKay: Vice
LOOOOOOOL over Bradley "I'm focusing more on director" Cooper getting snubbed. I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh. I'm glad Farelly got snubbed here too. Pawlikowski is a huge shocker. I can't believe this is Spike Lee's first director nomination. 

 Best Original Screenplay
"First Reformed”
“Green Book”
“Roma”
“The Favourite”
“Vice”  
Green Book being in this category is still a massive joke. 


Best Animated Film
“Incredibles 2” 
“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
“Mirai”
“Ralph Breaks the Internet”
“Isle Of Dogs”
Spider-Verse didn't get snubbed! This is all I care about, all the other films can go home.


Best Cinematography
“Cold War”
“The Favourite”
“Never Look Away”
“Roma”
“A Star Is Born” 
I need to see Cold War and Never Look Away. 

Best Visual Effects
“Avengers: Infinity War”
“Christopher Robin”
“First Man”
“Ready Player One”
“Solo: A Star Wars Story”
Avengers! Is it bad that despite being firmly on the Black Panther bandwagon that I'm okay with it missing out here? No one should be winning this besides Avengers. Don't you dare try to give this to First Man, Academy!


Best Foreign Language Film
“Capernaum”
“Cold War” 
“Never Look Away”
“Roma”
“Shoplifters”
The only one of these I've seen is Roma which I found boring, hopefully the rest fare better. 


Best Documentary Feature
“Free Solo” 
“Minding The Gap” 
“Of Fathers and Sons” 
“RBG”
“Hale County This Morning, This Evening”
I'm shocked Won't You Be My Neighbor was snubbed, everyone deemed this the winner when it was released. The only one of these I've seen is RBG which I enjoyed. Hopefully I can see the rest before February. 

 Best Documentary Short Subject
“Black Sheep”
“End Game”
“Lifeboat”
“A Night at the Garden”
“Period. End of Sentence.”
I wish more theaters would bundle these short subject films together and show them all at once. I never get to see them beforehand.


Best Costume Design
“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs”
“Black Panther”
“The Favourite”
“Mary Poppins Returns”
“Mary Queen of Scots”
I think it's a bunch of crap that Crazy Rich Asians missed out here


Best Makeup and Hairstyling
“Border”
“Mary Queen of Scots”
“Vice”
I had to look up Border, I had never heard of it until now. While I can't speak for that, I'm happy for the other two nominations. I wish this category would get stretched to 5 though. I think they could do it. 

 Best Film Editing
“BlacKkKlansman”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“Green Book”
“The Favourite”
“Vice” 
Green Book had an editor?


Best Sound Mixing
“Black Panther”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“First Man”
“Roma”
“A Star Is Born”
I think First Man should take all of these, but I'm bummed Avengers couldn't make it in the sound categories too. 



Best Sound Editing
“A Quiet Place”
“Black Panther”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“First Man”
“Roma”
see above


Best Animated Short Film
“Animal Behaviour”
“Bao”
“Late Afternoon”
“One Small Step”
“Weekends”
I've only seen Bao which made me cry so there's that. 


Best Live Action Short Film
“Detainment”
“Fauve”
“Marguerite”
“Mother”
“Skin”
Again, I've seen nothing. Hopefully some of these will pop up on youtube. 


Best Original Score
“Black Panther”
“BlacKkKlansman”
“If Beale Street Could Talk”
“Isle of Dogs”
“Mary Poppins Returns”
I'm happy to see Black Panther here. I thought they would be a bit of long shot

Best Original Song:
"All The Stars" - "Black Panther"
"I'll Fight" - "RBG"
"Shallow" - "A Star Is Born
"The Place Where Lost Things Go" - "Mary Poppins Returns"

"When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings" - "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs"
I mean, we all know Shallow is winning this (which is perfectly fine) but I'll go ahead and still root for All The Stars. This is probably the one Buster Scruggs nomination I agree with because that song was hilarious. 

Comments

  1. I have been waiting to see what you write here. I have seen one of these films which I will 5alk about tomorrow since I screwed up...hahahaa. I take it you are not enamoured with Bradley Cooper’s direction? What are the movies that should be up for Best Picture? I am assuming Beale Street would be one of them. Why is not Svengers up for Best Makeup? I mean, Thanos’s chin could get an award on its own. Why is Ali in best Supporting? Should he not be in Best Actor or is this because they don’t want the vote split? I need to find out what Roma is about and wonder if I will like it since I loved the Churchill film which you found boring. I so wish I could see the animated shorts and live action shorts and even best Documentaries. I doubt I will see it unless I can find it on YouTube

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Cooper's direction was actually really good but He campaigned so hard in that category alone that him missing is just comical at this point.

      I'd add Wildlife, Blindspotting, Annihilation, and Avengers to Best Picture. I haven't seen Beale Street yet but there's no doubt in my mind that should probably be there too.

      I agree about Avengers in Make up, Thanos' face was CGI but all that paint on Vision, Gamora and Nebula is make up and they deserve a nod.

      Delete
  2. I don't even know what to say. The only silver lining is that the ceremony will get terrible ratings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Christopher Robin wins ❤️🎈

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been rooting for Shallow for so long and never saw the Buster Scruggs song having a chance. I wouldn't even be mad if it won!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so ridiculous, it reminds me of Everything is Awesome from The Lego movie. It's just fun.

      Delete
  5. Yeah, I'm with you on the selection of 8 films for Best Picture. There's so many better films in 2018 that should've been nominated.

    Green Book for Best Screenplay is a joke.

    The snubs this year are horrendous. Are you doing anything on Oscar night besides watching the Oscars? I'm not sure if I want to watch this year's Oscars. It just feels.... eh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be watching still, but the change I make this year will probably involve me getting drunk before the ceremony instead of during like I normally do.🤣

      Delete
  6. I just don't even give half a f--k anymore. Honest.

    That said, if Spider-Verse doesn't win, I'm setting a building on fire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am SO WITH YOU on the nominations for Sam Elliott and Marina de Tavira being very underwhelming. They're both very good, but not really award-worthy. LOVE that Cooper didn't get nominated for Director - his smug ass deserves the snub.

    I HIGHLY recommend Shoplifters if you get the chance to see it. That would be my vote for Foreign Language film.

    Outside of performances, I'm most pissed that A Simple Favor didn't get a costume design nomination. Those costumes were OUT OF THIS WORLD AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Simple Favor would've been a great costume nominee too, I hate how they ignore modern films so much. Shoplifters comes out on DVD some time in Feb so at least I'll get to see it then.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was really surprised to see Defoe there, too. Also, no Chalament in Supporting? No Bradley Cooper in Director? Although I am happy the Cold War director got the slot, they need to include more International candidates in these awards (I have to see the movie, though). Happy for Black Panther's best picture nominee, but let's be honest, it's just for show, there are close 0 changes of them winning it. I just hope Bohemian Rhapsody or Green Book doesn't get it, especially taking into consideration all the drama surrounding them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, I'm very interested in seeing Cold War though I hope I get to BEFORE the Oscars, but it's doubtful.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum