Review: The Favourite

Favor shifts..

In the 18th century Queen Anne (Olivia Coleman) sits on the throne, but most of her decisions are made by her close friend, Lady Sarah Marlborough. (Rachel Weisz) Queen Anne is often sick, mentally and physically. When Abigail, (Emma Stone) Sarah's cousin who has fallen on hard times comes looking for a job, they began to fight for the Queen's affection.

There's a whole lot of petty in this movie and it's glorious. Director Yorgos Lanthimos is out there. If you've seen any of this films, you know that. This might be the least weird thing he's ever done. He didn't write the script, but his techniques are all over it. I loved seeing him take the script Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara wrote and put that strange touch on it. 

Olivia Coleman is the star. Anne is so complicated. She's ill, moody, and tragedy follows her everywhere. Yet, she's not above taking advantage of Sarah and Abigail when they start their spat. She's so incredible, Lanthimos was right to let the camera linger on her, and see so many emotions play off her face. She absolutely deserves the Oscar for those. Stone and Weisz were also wonderful in their parts, though Stone is most certainly a lead. I loved how you would sort of root for one of these ladies, then they'd turn out to be the shadiest. Or the one you thought was the worst turns out to get the worst deal. It's like Harley (Nicholas Hoult) says. Favor shifts, my feelings shifted frequently with these characters.

And speaking of Hoult, the women in this movie are so good it's easy for everyone else to fall to the wayside but he was very good in this too. His character is such a messy bitch. He was so over the top and I couldn't help but laugh.

As you can probably tell, I loved this movie. I didn't want it to end. Period pieces can easily have moments where they drag and this didn't. I'm just in awe of it. My first review of 2019 will surely go on my Top 2018 list. 

Recommended: Yes

Grade: A+

Memorable Quote: "I like it when she puts her tongue inside me." - Queen Anne (Olivia Coleman)

Comments

  1. Oh wow what a rave! I cannot wait to see it, looks just like something I'd adore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll love it too. I had really high hopes for it and it met all of my expectations. I can't wait to watch it again.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see it, it's one of my most anticipated movies in the months to come. It sounds amazing, thanks for the review! Also, I really hope Olivia Colman gets the attention she deserves, she's an amazing actress, I remember seeing her in a movie a couple of years ago and being blown away by her performance (Tyrannosaur), I've been watching her ever since

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was amazing n Tyrannosaur and she better win everything she's nominated for for this.

      Delete
  3. I never thought I would find myself saying that I was excited to see a period piece movie but I'm giddy with excitement for tomorrow when I'm going to see this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it as much as I do! I don't get very excited over period pieces either but this is one of the best.

      Delete
  4. I so want to see this. Based on the 2 films by Yorgos Lathimos that I've seen so far, I love the fact that he's weird and is always willing to do something crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is probably his least weird film but that doesn't make me love it any less. I really didn't like Killing of a Sacred Deer so I'm glad he followed that up with this.

      Delete
  5. Great review Brittani! Interestingly enough, I actually like this one more initially but in the end I didn't love it. It's one of those I appreciate for its acting and visuals, etc. so it still makes my Honorable Mentions. I actually enjoyed Mary Queen of Scots more which also has strong female leads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. I liked Mary Queen of Scots as well, but not as much as this.

      Delete
  6. Nice review! There's so much to this movie - the cat and mouse games, the power play, the motivations of all the women. I totally agree that my feelings changed for the characters too. I kind of felt like the pacing was a bit messy at times, but this is definitely a memorable and amazing film regardless. It's going to be one of my favorites for 2019.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The games were so great. I'm glad it's one of your favorites too!

      Delete
  7. Yes!! This movie was indeed out there, and I agree it was his least weird. But it is still bizarre, like the fat guy laughing as people throw tomatoes at him... the absurd make-up on the bed... the 'wanking man' in the coach, the duck race... oh god it was brilliant!!

    I agree Coleman was the star. I though Weisz was better though, the script was witty and she really delivered her lines with venom. And Stone.... is this her best performance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if Tomato guy was in the original script or if Yorgos threw him in there because things weren't weird enough.

      Stone was awesome, I think this is the first time I've heard her use a different accent? I think La La Land is still her best but this is close.

      Delete
  8. Okay...so I'm not a fan of this director at all...will I still like the Favourite? Or at least give it a chance? I was bored to tears with his last two films, which is why I'm hesitant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so. The pacing here is nowhere near as slow as The Lobster or Sacred Deer. It's not as weird as those two either.

      Delete
    2. awesome. i'll have to check it out then!

      Delete
  9. I want to see this film and love your review. I know a little bit about the history so it will be interesting to see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew nothing about this period in time so I'm not sure how accurate it is. Hopefully 100% because that amount is petty is impressive. lol

      Delete
  10. Great review. Seeing this on Sunday :D

    Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make a good point that even though Lanthimos didn't write this. His touch is all over it. Yeah the three female leads are amazing. Glad you dug it

    ReplyDelete
  12. SOOOOO glad you loved this! It's my number 2 of 2018 so far - loved Lanthimos's dark sense of humor seeping through everything and the performances are just out of this world, from the ladies of course (Emma Stone has never been this good), but the men, especially Nicholas Hoult and Joe Alwyn, are just as good.

    I'm seeing this tomorrow with a Q&A with Yorgos and I couldn't be more excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so amazing please tweet and/or post about it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum