Review: On The Basis of Sex

The Notorious R.B.G

After last year's wonderful documentary following Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, we get the dramatic story of how she started out. We meet up with Ruth (Felicity Jones) as she's starting law school at Harvard. Of course none of her professors (Sam Waterston and Stephen Root) take her seriously, but her husband Marty (Armie Hammer) always does. We see her go through school, struggle to find a job as a lawyer due to gender discrimination and finally take on Charles Moritz's (Chris Mulkey) tax case that puts her on the map.

I feel like this movie has almost been forgotten. It was talked up like it was going to be a massive awards contender only for it to be pushed to a January release with little fanfare. It's almost ironic considering all Ruth has had to fight for. For what it's worth, On The Basis of Sex might not be perfect but it's still a very good film.

While the film does take its liberties as biopics do, it doesn't do anything egregious and the flow of the story works well. It's easy to be on Ruth's side when so many men go against her, even the ones like Mel Wulf (Justin Theroux) of the ACLU who are on her side. Felicity Jones brings a fine gravity to the role. The accent is a bit of a struggle but not to the point where it gets distracting. I think she does her justice. I believed every word she said.

The same can't be said for a few very reliable actors. Waterston, Root and Jack Raynor, who are all very good actors were the weak point here. They play professors and lawyers who go up against Ruth during a hearing, but the thing about it is I never once believed a word they were saying. They're the bad guys, the ones that think women should have their place at home, but you can tell that these men really don't believe that in real life and it showed in their performances. Felicity never pulls you out of the moment with her acting, but those three certainly did. It was bizarre considering I was going into this film expecting to dislike Armie Hammer the most and he ended up being not bad at all.

Aside from the acting, another thing that really stands out is the costume design. It's wonderful, especially when we make it to the 70's. It makes me long for more pieces like that to come back. The film's 3rd act is easily the strongest and it doesn't hold anything back. The last shot of the film was enough to get me chocked up.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "Because that's what I wanted to do!" - Ruth Bader Ginsburg (Felicity Jones)

Comments

  1. I have thoughts about seeing it but I really want to see Notorious RBG first which I heard is a better film. Still, I do like Felicity Jones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RBG is a very good doc, but I still think this deserves a watch.

      Delete
    2. The trailer for Spider-Man: Far From Home deserves a watch too.

      Delete
  2. I wanna see it in spite of Hammer's participation - ugh he is so annoying. It's indeed weird how there was not more push for it in award season

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is, but thankfully he's not too distracting here with his bullshit. lol

      Delete
  3. I want to see this movie and what a shame that it got pushed around. It makes me wonder why it wasn't given more fanfare. I like Arm & Hammer (sorry but couldn't resist) and it will be nice to see him in a non action movie. I lived through the 1970's as a kid and having to wear plaid polyester pants with bell bottoms is not a fashion statement. I hated the 70's fashion and still do, in fact memories are coming back of all the horrible fashion looks I saw in school and everywhere:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol it's 90's fashion that's coming back now. I'm starting to recoginize it.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, a B is exactly right. I wish it had been.... less Hollywood, maybe? But it's still pretty good. Felicity's accent work never bothered me, but then again I adore her. Totally agree about the last shot. I was NOT expecting that and I teared up so bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it just sounded a bit strange coming from her, but I agree. it wasn't terrible. I'm glad I'm not the only one that teared up!! I was not expecting that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum