2019 SAG Predictions: Who Will Win/Who Should Win

Time for my SAG predictions. There's no way I can bomb as hard as I did with my Globe predictions, right? RIGHT?! Here's who I think will win, and in some cases, who should win. 

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
A Star Is Born
Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
Crazy Rich Asians”
Who will and should win: Black Panther
Hear me out. I know you're thinking "All the signs point to Bohemian Rhapsody." And you're probably right, but something tells me the actors are going to vote differently on this than the rest of the industry will. I think they will honor Black Panther here. I'd be fine with this, BlackKklansman, or Crazy Rich Asians winning. 

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
Christian Bale, “Vice”
Bradley Cooper, “A Star Is Born”
Rami Malek, “Bohemian Rhapsody”
Viggo Mortensen, “Green Book”
John David Washington, “BlacKkKlansman”
Who will and should win: Christian Bale
This is by no means a sure thing at this point, but this is where I think Bale moves into front runner status. 

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
Emily Blunt, “Mary Poppins Returns”
Glenn Close, “The Wife”
Olivia Coleman, “The Favourite”
Lady Gaga, “A Star Is Born”
Melissa McCarthy, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”
Who will win: Glenn Close
Who should win: Olivia Coleman
I really hope I'm wrong here, but I think we may be in for another "Career" Oscar which is ridiculous for a movie as dull as The Wife. Coleman should be running away with this. 

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
Mahershala Ali, “Green Book”
Timothee Chalamet, “Beautiful Boy”
Adam Driver, “BlacKkKlansman”
Sam Elliott, “A Star Is Born”
Richard E. Grant, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”
Who will win: Mahershala Ali
Who should win: Adam Driver of Chalamet
This one is out there too. Ali got the Globe win, but I prefer Drier and Chalamet's roles. Grant could maybe squeeze himself in. Elliott was just playing himself.

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
Amy Adams, "Vice"
Emily Blunt, "A Quiet Place"
Margot Robbie, "Mary, Queen of Scots"
Emma Stone, "The Favourite"
Rachel Weiss, "The Favourite"
Who will and should win: Amy Adams
Without Regina King here, and with the fact that they will (wrongly) not give her a statue for Sharp Objects, I think they'll award her here. 


Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
The Americans
Better Call Saul
The Handmaid’s Tale
Ozark
This Is Us
Who will win: The Americans
Who should win: The Handmaid's Tale
I really love THT's overall cast but I think The Americans might get a send off reward since it was their final season.  

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series
Jason Bateman, Ozark
Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us
Joseph Fiennes, The Handmaid’s Tale
John Krasinki, Jack Ryan
Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul
Who will win: Sterling K. Brown
Who should win: Joseph Fiennes
I don't see how Fiennes hasn't won everything for his role in this. I see them repeating with Sterling. 

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series
Julia Garner, "Ozark"
Laura Linney, "Ozark"
Elisabeth Moss, "The Handmaid's Tale"
Sandra Oh, "Killing Eve"
Robin Wright, "House of Cards"
Who will win: Sandra Oh
Killing Eve and House of Cards are two that I don't watch and the other ladies are all equal. I think Oh takes it since she took the Globe, but I wouldn't count Wright out either.


Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series
Atlanta
Barry
GLOW
The Kominsky Method
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Who will win: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
The only one of these I watched was Barry and I hated it. Maisel seems popular and I would definitely be watching if I had Amazon. Kominsky Method could take it too, but Maisel seems like a better choice. 

Outstanding Performane by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series
Alan Arkin, “The Kominsky Method”
Michael Douglas, “The Kominsky Method”
Bill Hader, “Barry”
Tony Shalhoub, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”
Henry Winkler, “Barry”
Who will win: Tony Shaloub
I'm guessing there will be a lot of vote splitting between the other two shows so lucky Tony will win. 


Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series
Alex Borstein, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”
Alison Brie, “GLOW”
Rachel Brosnahan, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”
Jane Fonda, “Grace and Frankie”
Lily Tomlin, “Grace and Frankie”
Who will win: Rachel Brosnahan
I don't think vote splitting will affect her, she feels like a front runner. 

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Miniseries or Television Movie
Antonio Banderas, “Genius: Picasso”
Darren Criss, “Assassination of Gianni Versace”
Hugh Grant, “A Very English Scandal”
Anthony Hopkins, “King Lear”
Bill Pullman, “The Sinner”
Who will and should win: Darren Criss
Everyone else is there because they can't just give it to him. 

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Miniseries or Television Movie
Amy Adams, “Sharp Objects”
Patricia Arquette, “Escape at Dannemora”
Patricia Clarkson, “Sharp Objects”
Penelope Cruz, “Assassination of Gianni Versace”
Emma Stone, “Maniac”

Who will win:Patricia Arquette
Who should win: Amy Adams
I've never understood the appeal of Arquette but she'll probably win this too even though Adams was outstanding in Sharp Objects. *heavy sigh*

Comments

  1. That's tonight? Rough night for Cooper again, but hopefully Panther and Bale block the evil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's next Sunday,so I threw my predictions up a week out. I Hope they do too.

      Delete
  2. WAKANDA FOREVER!!!!! Make it a big win for the MCU!!!!! They don't get enough credit. Plus, I don't want Bohemian Rhapsody to win either. I was chatting with a big-time Queen fan for a few days at Letterboxd and he HATED the film for how safe it was. Fuck Bryan Singer. I hope he and R. Kelly become cellmates in prison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We hope Black Panther wins.
    ��❤️������

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're wrong on the Colman- Close thing. Olivia Colman needs to win. Also, you're probably right for the Darren Criss pick, but he deserves it, he really was very good.
    This whole Green Book madness is a bit surprising. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the movie, but it's not as great as the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very basic compared to the other. Olivia does need to win, I really hope I'm wrong too.

      Delete
  5. This will be interesting to see whom they pick. I'm with you about Arquette...zzzzzz

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum