2022 Screen Actors Guild Predictions

 

The SAG awards are only a week away so it's time to make some predictions. Below are who I think will win, and in some cases, who should win instead.

Cast in a Motion Picture
“Belfast”
“CODA”
“Don’t Look Up”
“House of Gucci”
“King Richard”
Who will win: Don't Look Up
Who should win: CODA or King Richard
I know a lot of people are probably going to guess Belfast here, and that was my first thought too, but I just have a feeling about Don't Look Up. There are a lot of very likable actors in this cast, and I could see them winning.


Male Actor in a Leading Role in a Motion Picture
Javier Bardem, “Being the Ricardos”
Benedict Cumberbatch, “The Power of the Dog”
Andrew Garfield, “Tick Tick Boom”
Will Smith, “King Richard”
Denzel Washington, “The Tragedy of Macbeth”
Who will and should win: Benedict Cumberbatch
I know the Globes went for Smith, but The Power of the Dog led in Oscar noms and Cumberbatch gave the best performance of these five, IMO. I'm going with my favorite. 

Female Actor in a Leading Role in a Motion Picture
Jessica Chastain, “The Eyes of Tammy Faye”
Olivia Colman, “The Lost Daughter”
Lady Gaga, “House of Gucci”
Jennifer Hudson, “Respect”
Nicole Kidman, “Being the Ricardos”
Who will win: Nicole Kidman
Who should win: Chastain or Colman
Kidman won at the Globes and only Chastain and Colman are fellow Oscar nominees with her. I think by the numbers, she's the most likely to win.

Male Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Ben Affleck, “The Tender Bar”
Bradley Cooper, “Licorice Pizza”
Troy Kotsur, “CODA”
Jared Leto, “House of Gucci”
Kodi Smit-McPhee, “The Power of the Dog”
Who will and should win: Kodi Smit-McPhee
I think Kodi is the closest thing we have to a frontrunner in this category, though I'd be happy with Kotsur winning too.

Female Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Caitriona Balfe, “Belfast”
Cate Blanchett, “Nightmare Alley”
Ariana DeBose, “West Side Story”
Kirsten Dunst, “The Power of the Dog”
Ruth Negga, “Passing”
Who will and should win: Ariana DeBose
This is the most open and shut category there is, IMO.

Ensemble in a Drama Series
“The Handmaid’s Tale”
“The Morning Show”
“Squid Game”
“Succession”
“Yellowstone”
Who will and should win: Succession
I think Squid Game could pose a threat but Succession had a monster season and I'd be surprised if they didn't win.

Male Actor in a Drama Series
Brian Cox, “Succession”
Billy Crudup, “The Morning Show”
Kieran Culkin, “Succession”
Lee Jung-jae, “Squid Game”
Jeremy Strong, “Succession”
Who will and should win: Jeremy Strong
Normally I wouldn't pick someone going against more than one of their costars, but I feel like Strong still has the best chance. Plus, his actor friends will want to reward him after that article came out ragging on his acting methods. 

Female Actor in a Drama Series
Jennifer Aniston, “The Morning Show”
Jung Ho-yeon, “Squid Game”
Elisabeth Moss, “The Handmaid’s Tale”
Sarah Snook, “Succession”
Reese Witherspoon, “The Morning Show”
Who will win: Reese Witherspoon
Who should win: Snook, Moss, or Jung
Aniston won this last year and she could repeat, I suppose. But I can see SAG sharing the wealth and giving it to Witherspoon even though Snook, Jung, and Moss deserve it more. I want to go with Snook, but that would mean a total Succession sweep in drama and that doesn't happen a lot with SAG.

Ensemble in a Comedy Series
“The Great”
“Hacks”
“The Kominski Method”
“Only Murders in the Building”
“Ted Lasso”
Who will and should win: Ted Lasso
SAG can be weird sometimes, and I could see them going for something like Only Murders in the Building. But Ted Lasso won huge at the Emmys and is universally loved. It should win here too.

Male Actor in a Comedy Series
Michael Douglas, “The Kominski Method”
Brett Goldstein, “Ted Lasso”
Steve Martin, “Only Murders in the Building”
Martin Short, “Only Murders in the Building”
Jason Sudeikis, “Ted Lasso”
Who will and should win: Jason Sudeikis.
I should be going for Michael Douglas here based on vote cancelling, but Jason won the Emmy and the Globe. It would be weird if he didn't win here.
 
Female Actor in a Comedy Series
Elle Fanning, “The Great
Sandra Oh, “The Chair”
Jean Smart, “Hacks”
Juno Temple, “Ted Lasso”
Hannah Waddingham, “Ted Lasso”
Who will win: Jean Smart
Who should win: Hannah Waddingham
I'm bias. Smart is definitely going to win, but I love Hannah.

Male Actor in a Television Movie or Limited Series
Murray Bartlett, “The White Lotus”
Oscar Isaac, “Scenes from a Marriage”
Michael Keaton, “Dopesick”
Ewan McGregor, “Halston”
Evan Peters, “Mare of Easttown”
Who will win: Michael Keaton
Who should win: Any of these, minus McGregor only because I haven't seen that performance.
This category is stacked, but I think Keaton is the most loved acting wise, so he'll prevail here.

Female Actor in a Television Movie or Limited Series
Jennifer Coolidge, “The White Lotus”
Cynthia Erivo, “Genius: Aretha”
Margaret Qualley, “Maid”
Jean Smart, “Mare of Easttown”
Kate Winslet, “Mare of Easttown”
Who will and should win: Kate Winslet
I'm still salty Elizabeth Olsen isn't here, so Emmy winner Kate will repeat.  

Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture
“Black Widow”
“Dune”
“The Matrix Resurrections”
“No Time to Die”
“Shang-Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings”
Who will win: Dune
Who should win: Shang-Chi

Stunt Ensemble in a Comedy or Drama Series
“Cobra Kai”
“The Falcon and the Winter Soldier”
“Loki”
“Mare of Easttown”
“Squid Game”
Who will win: Squid Game
Who should win: Squid Game or Falcon

Comments

  1. I hate to root against Marvel in the stunt category but... I gotta show some love for Cobra Kai. Sensei Kreese was on AEW Dynamite last Wednesday and gave some damn good advice to Dr. Britt Baker D.M.D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Cobra Kai but I know so many people that love it. I need to start it eventually.

      Delete
  2. I had to read about a couple of the movies like Coda and Don't Look Up. Now I really want to see both. I'm glad to see Marlee Matlin in a good film. Is it bad of me that I hope Kidman does not win for playing Lucy. I haven't seen the film yet, and I will, but she just has nothing for me regarding Lucy. What does Stunt Ensemble mean? Is this for the stunt people who risk their lives?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CODA is excellent. I really hope you get to see that! Yes, it's for the stunt crew.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum