Review: Marry Me


Superstar singer Kat Valdez (Jennifer Lopez) is set to marry her fiancé and fellow singer Bastian (Maluma) in front of 20 million people while singing their new hit song. Charlie (Owen Wilson) is a math teacher stuck in a rut because his daughter thinks her step dad is cooler. Tagging along to Kat's concert is going to change his life.

I'm not a rom com girl but something about the absurdity of this plot peaked my interest in the trailers. When it was announced that it would also stream on Peacock, I knew I'd watch. And I'm glad I did. While this full of the typical rom com clichés, I had fun.

Strangely enough, it was John Bradley, who plays Kat's manager Colin that had me the most interested. I just love to see Samwell Tarly thriving post Game of Thrones. He was such a good dude. I feel like most movies make managers out to be awful and he was trying to help Kat every step of the way and look out for her best interests. It was wholeome.

Lopez and Wilson had good chemistry together and they were perfect for these roles. It was easy to root for them. I also love how Charlie was like "I was just trying to help a woman in need!" when he full on made out with her on stage. Sure, my dude.  

So is this for you? If you love rom coms, definitely. If you're on the fence, but have access to Peacock, then it's a perfectly fine watch. Happy Valentines day, all!

Grade: B-


Comments

  1. This does look predictable and it actually fits with this week's theme over at Wandering. I actually like J-Lo despite her diva ways. When it comes to regular TV I will watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spoiler alert, I picked it for this week's theme lol. J-Lo is really perfect for this role.

      Delete
  2. I saw the trailer for this last month and thought... "this looks like harmless fun". I don't have Peacock (and not interested) but I know this is the kind of film that my mother would like to watch. Plus, how can you not root for J-Lo and Owen Wilson?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harmless fun is definitely a great way to describe it. I think your mom would like it too!

      Delete
  3. For a wonder, I actually read a good chunk of the webcomic this was based on about a decade ago when it was still free. It's a cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good rom-coms are hard to find, that's why I rarely go to the theaters to see them! But somehow the pairing of J Lo w/ Owen Wilson intrigued me and despite its issues (and the glaring similarities to Notting Hill), it still has its charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. I think the last rom com I paid theater money for was Crazy Rich Asians. That's why I'm glad this was a streaming release.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum