Review: Parallel Mothers


Janis (Penelope Cruz) and Ana (Milena Smit) give birth on the same day. They're at very different stages in life. Janis is nearly 40, has a successful career and is delighted at becoming a mother. Something she never thought would happen. Ana is a minor and feels this is a mistake. 

This is one of those "stay with me" movies. When you get the first hint about what's going on, you might have the urge to roll your eyes. I know I did. Director Pedro Almadovar is a very proactive filmmaker so I expected things to get real bad, but what I was given was my favorite film of his yet.

If this movie had ended any other way, I think I would've lost my mind. I was so invested in the story and I knew there was only one satisfying end. (or as satisfying as a story like this can conclude) We could've gloomed and doomed for two hours but Janis and Ana are both very complex characters. Janis especially, since we see the film through her eyes. She doesn't always make the best decisions, but it's easy to see why she comes to those conclusions.

Smit is new to me and I hope I see more of her films going forward. She keeps up with the veteran Cruz, and they have excellent chemistry together. 

So it this for you? This is a unique take on motherhood framed with Almadovar's bright lens. If you're worried it will get as uncomfortable as some of this other works, don't be. There's heavy themes, but all are handled with care.

Grade: A-


Comments

  1. Being a fan of Almodovar, I do want to see this. I love the fact that he always find a way to say something new he's already discussed before while also maintaining a style that he's refined over the year. He is one of the grandmasters we have right now as his body of work is something every film buff should look into. I heard he's thinking about doing his next film in English as I think it could work as he has taken baby steps with The Human Voice with Tilda Swinton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy to read subtitles so I'm fine if he sticks to that, but I'd watch an English language film of his too. His style is lovely, even if I don't always *love* his movies.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a film I would enjoy. I do like his films overall so I will make note of this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to tell me how you like it when you watch!

      Delete
  3. I have a lot of blindspot about Pedro Almadovar, so I'm not sure if this is something I'd enjoy. I still might check it out as it's part of the FYC screeners I have access to from Film Independent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you definitely should! I think this is a great place to start with him to be honest. It's not as weird as some of his other films.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum