Review: Mass


Jay (Jason Isaacs) and Gail (Martha Plimpton) are meeting with another couple, Linda (Ann Dowd) and Richard (Reed Birney) to discuss an act of violence that affected both families. 

I've been wanting to see this since it debuted at Sundance in 2021 but it never came to a theater near me. Then it fell into my queue on DVD Netflix, only for it to get sent back into "Unknown" hell. Then as luck would have it, it was one of the in flight movies options on a flight I took last week. I have never clicked on something so fast. 

Thankfully, Mass lived up my incredibly high expectations. This isn't a showy film. It's four people in a room talking about an event that changed their lives. They all lost something, but in very different ways. 

The acting is incredible all around. Jay's anger is harsh, Gail's is harder for her to articulate. Richard is very matter of fact and Linda is here to understand. Yet, these characters aren't defined by these traits. They're all incredibly complex individuals and it's easy to feel for all of them.

Is this for you? If you're here to see acting excellence, then yes. See this ASAP. Though pro-tip, having to blow your nose on an airplane because you cried at the end in the middle of a pandemic is awkward. Would not recommend. 

Grade: A 

Comments

  1. This sounds excellent and I hope I get to see it. It sounds like they got by-passed by the Oscars??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been hearing about this and I really do want to see this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum