2023 Independent Spirit Award Nominations


Awards Season is officially kicking off! Below are the nominations for the Spirit Awards. This year they went with gender inclusive categories, so there's only one award for Lead Performance and one award for Supporting, which honestly I don't love because I want more winners. I'm curious to see what the reception to it over all will be. That being said, I love that they added a breakout category. 

BEST FEATURE 
Bones and All
Everything Everywhere All At Once
Our Father, the Devil
TÁR
Women Talking
Next Best Picture pointed out that The Whale was eligible here and didn't make it, which I didn't realize at first. That's surprising with the amount of buzz Fraiser is getting for it. Still, I've only seen EEAAO and Tar here, and I'm happy with their nominations. 

BEST FIRST FEATURE 
Aftersun
Emily the Criminal
The Inspection
Murina
Palm Trees and Power Lines
I really want to see Emily the Criminal, and I'll probably try to search out the rest of these before the awards too.

JOHN CASSAVETES AWARD
The African Desperate
A Love Song
The Cathedral
Holy Emy
Something in the Dirt


BEST DIRECTOR
Todd Field – TÁR
Kogonada – After Yang
Daniel Kwan & Daniel Scheinert – Everything Everywhere All At Once
Sarah Polley – Women Talking
Halina Reijn – Bodies Bodies Bodies
WOMEN! I just saw Bodies Bodies Bodies and while it was fine, I'm a bit surprised to see Halina here. No complaints though.

BEST SCREENPLAY
Lena Dunham – Catherine Called Birdy
Todd Field – TÁR
Kogonada – After Yang
Daniel Kwan & Daniel Scheinert – Everything Everywhere All At Once
Sarah Polley – Women Talking
Lena Dunham's name always makes me groan. After Yang is another I want to see (but haven't forked out for a Showtime subscription yet)

BEST FIRST SCREENPLAY
Joel Kim Booster – Fire Island
Jamie Dack, Audrey Findlay, Story by Jamie Dack – Palm Trees and Power Lines
K.D. Dávila – Emergency
Sarah DeLappe, Story by Kristen Roupenian – Bodies Bodies Bodies
John Patton Ford – Emily the Criminal

BEST LEAD PERFORMANCE
Cate Blanchett – TÁR
Dale Dickey – A Love Song
Mia Goth – Pearl
Regina Hall – Honk for Jesus. Save Your Soul.
Paul Mescal – Aftersun
Aubrey Plaza – Emily the Criminal
Jeremy Pope – The Inspection
Andrea Riseborough – To Leslie
Taylor Russell – Bones and All
Michelle Yeoh – Everything Everywhere All At Once
Danielle Deadwyler for Till not being here is shocking. I'm so happy for Cate, Mia, Regena and Michelle though! Love those performances

BEST SUPPORTING PERFORMANCE
Jamie Lee Curtis – Everything Everywhere All At Once
Brian Tyree Henry – Causeway
Nina Hoss – TÁR
Brian d’Arcy James – The Cathedral
Ke Huy Quan – Everything Everywhere All At Once
Trevante Rhodes – Bruiser
Theo Rossi – Emily the Criminal
Mark Rylance – Bones and All
Jonathan Tucker – Palm Trees and Power Lines
Gabrielle Union – The Inspection
Jamie Lee! I'm on that bandwagon this year. 

BEST BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMANCE 
Frankie Corio – Aftersun
Gracija Filipović – Murina
Stephanie Hsu – Everything Everywhere All At Once
Lily McInerny – Palm Trees and Power Lines
Daniel Zolghadri – Funny Pages
So happy for Stephanie Hsu, who is getting used so poorly on The Marvelous Mrs. Mabel and deserves the world. 

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Florian Hoffmeister – TÁR
Hélène Louvart – Murina
Gregory Oke – Aftersun
Eliot Rockett – Pearl
Anisia Uzeyman – Neptune Frost

BEST EDITING
Ricky D’Ambrose – The Cathedral
Dean Fleischer Camp, Nick Paley – Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
Blair McClendon – Aftersun
Paul Rogers – Everything Everywhere All At Once
Monika Willi – TÁR

ROBERT ALTMAN AWARD  
Women Talking

BEST DOCUMENTARY
All That Breathes
All the Beauty and the Bloodshed
A House Made of Splinters
Midwives
Riotsville, U.S.A.
I don't know if Fire of Love was eligible here, but that's the documentary I'm throwing everything behind this year.

BEST INTERNATIONAL FILM 
Corsage
Joyland
Leonor Will Never Die
Return to Seoul
Saint Omer
International films are so hard to come by for me unless they're on streaming. Hopefully I'll get to see a few of these soon.

PRODUCERS AWARD
Liz Cardenas
Tory Lenosky
David Grove Churchill Viste

SOMEONE TO WATCH AWARD 
Adamma Ebo – Honk for Jesus. Save Your Soul.
Nikyatu Jusu – Nanny
Araceli Lemos – Holy Emy

TRUER THAN FICTION AWARD   
Isabel Castro – Mija
Reid Davenport – I Didn’t See You There
Rebeca Huntt – Beba

Comments

  1. I'm with you on Lena Dunham.... her name enough is just... she makes my stomach churn in a bad way. I have no issues with seeing big women naked (and some of them are fucking beautiful) but her.... ugh... never again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate how Lena Dunham tried to turn every criticism levied against her with "they just don't like my body/I'm not hot enough" While I do believe that was a factor for many people, I think there was a lot of valid criticism of the nudity in girls just being there to get people to bitch about her, and thus get attention.

      Delete
    2. She's lucky she has never met Al Bundy. The barrage of fat jokes he would have would destroy her. I wonder what is more extreme. To see her naked or to sleep with... Marcy?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum