Review: The Banshees of Inisherin


Padraic (Colin Farrell) and Colm (Brenden Gleeson) live on the small island of Inisherin and have mostly been inseparable. Then Colm decides to abruptly end their friendship, and Padraic doesn't take it very well.

It's funny, I saw Farrell, Gleeson and director Martin McDonagh's names and immediately knew I was going to see this, but I realize now that I don't think I even watched a trailer for it ahead of time. I went in as blind as you can go.

I've enjoyed every single one of McDonagh's films and this is no exception. Besides reuniting his magical duo in Farrell and Gleeson, McDonagh wrote something that is very original. I can't say I can recall any other stories like this. And it's so very Irish. I love that about it the most.

Perfectly dreary with sharp humor and occasionally morbid, The Banshees of Inisherin fits perfectly within McDonagh's filmography. Farrell and Gleeson are both great, as are Barry Keoghan and Kerry Condan in their supporting roles. 

Right now this film is in a little over 800 theaters and hopefully that number is expanding. It's definitely worth the price.

Grade: A

Comments

  1. YES!!!! It's really good, right? Give Farrell, Gleeson, Keoghan, and Condan Oscar nominations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree!! Feckin' loved them all. Also, I'm starting to see a lot more trailers for this so i really hope it drives more people to theaters.

      Delete
  2. I hope to see this before the end of the year as there's a lot of good shit coming out right now. This, Armageddon Time, and whatever else is at a streaming service near you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to see Armageddon Time on Thursday. Trying for Till on Wed, and of course Black Panther on Saturday! I love busy movie weeks.

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy to hear good things about this film. I loved In Bruges so I expect this to be just as good. I'm happy reading this over just seeing Trump Stump almost lose his bottom teeth giving a foreboding speech saying he will make an announcement on Nov. 15th. I feel like I am watching democracy die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I don't even want to think about that Goblin. Thankfully this movie exists to take our minds off it! I love In Bruges as well.

      Delete
  4. So bummed I haven't seen this yet as I got sick during the scheduled press screening. LOVE the Farrell + Gleeson reunion and this sounds even better than In Bruges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're feeling better and can catch it now!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum