Review: The Good Nurse


Amy (Jessica Chastain) is a third shift nurse in the ICU who is hiding a heart condition. She hasn't worked at the hospital long enough to qualify for health insurance, so she's trying to stick it out in secret. Her new colleague, Charlie (Eddie Redmayne) finds out about this, and does everything in his power to help her. Which makes it that much harder for Amy when she suspects that Charlie may be involved in some unexplained deaths of patients. 

Being the basic bitch that I am, I enjoy True Crime. This film is based off a real case that I was not familiar with beforehand. As usual, I'm somehow still shocked that an institution can cover up this much murder and get away with it. But here we are.

The Good Nurse is currently streaming on Netflix which is exactly where it belongs. This is a perfectly fine "at home movie." Chastain and Redmayne are both very capable actors with excellent chemistry giving great performances. It's not a mystery, Charlie is accused of these crimes early on and it's about Amy catching him in the act rather than looking for other people who might be responsible. It's a good choice that makes the film pace well. 

This is the first English language film from Director Tobias Lindholm who has written some excellent films in his native Denmark with Another Round, The Hunt, and A War. He doesn't pen the screenplay here, so it lacks the richness of those other films, but he directs it well. 

So is this for you? If you go in with the expectation that this is a rental, then I think you'll enjoy it. I certainly did.

Grade: B

Comments

  1. I might check this out despite my disdain for Eddie Redmayne. He's lucky he hasn't met my dad because my dad would've chewed his ass out for beating Michael Keaton at the Oscars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that Keaton lost that Oscar, but I do have to admit that Redmayne IS a good actor, despite his thirst. lol

      Delete
  2. I'm all for true crime and am amazed at how much is covered up. I'd love to see this...one day

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum