10 Times I Gave Into The Hype and Was Let Down

*This is the 8th entry in my 10 series. Click the label to view my previous posts.*

My last post in the 10 Series was about movies/TV that I watched after having them recommended to me, and I ended up loving them. Sadly, love can't always be the case. Sometimes, they are just not for me.


10 Times I Gave Into the Hype, And Was Let Down


1) Grave of the Fireflies
I had actually never heard of this until I participated in a tournemant over at The LAMB It was on IMDB's top 200, and everyone said it was devestatingly beautiful. Well, it's devestating all right. But I just could not get over the decisions Seita makes throughout. He seems like he's old enough to grasp the reality that is going on, yet he does. Yes, I know the movie was based on the author's real life experience that he regretted, I get that. I just couldn't enjoy this.



2) The Boondock Saints
This one is a little different. I saw this on my own, and thought it was just okay. Years later, I ran into so many people that were like "THIS IS THE BEST FUCKING MOVIE EVER MADE! OMG!!" So I watched it again because clearly I had missed something. Nope. This is one of the most overrated movies of all time. Is it bad? No. Is it the best? Not even close. Norman Reedus is awesome though. I'll give you that.


3) Mad Men
Made Men is a good show. The acting is good, the costumes are beautiful, it was just not my thing. I couldn't get into it. I think it deserves all of the great praise it gets, but I just find it a little boring.



4) Tree of Life
Much of the blogosphere was a buzz about this film in 2011. And I hated it. At first, I felt bad for not liking it as much as everyone else did, but then I just reminded myself that this movie was shitty editing 101. Way to ruin what sounded like an interesting script, Terrance Malik.



5) Antichrist
I made a few rules after seeing this awful film. 1) I will never watch a movie on the basis that "it pissed people off at Cannes." 2) I will never watch another Lars Von Trier film.


6) Melancholia
I broke my Lars Von Trier rule with this, because he casted so many people I love. I even gave some of this other movies a shot just to make sure. I've come to the conclusion that I will never enjoy anything he does because it just comes off as insanely pretencious and slow. Seriously, I was happy I watched this OnDemand because I could fast forward through that God awful opening.



7) How I Met Your Mother
This was a show that was recommended to me from someone who knew I liked The Big Bang Theory. They are nothing alike, so the comparision was weird to start with, but this show would be better without Josh Radnor. He's just not engaging on screen and I have trouble liking anything he does. Colbie Smulders doesn't do much either. It's a shame Neil Patrick Harris, Alyson Hannigan and Jason Segal. They are all wonderful.


8) The Amazing Spiderman
At first I was like "NO they can't remake Spiderman!" Then they started casting all of these people I loved, so I gave it a shot. I was right the first time. No, they should've had remade Spiderman. Raimi's verison was fine.


9) Mama
Oooh! A creepy looking movie produced by Gulliermo del Toro staring Nikolaj Caster-Waldau AND Jessica Chastain? I'm in!! Oh wait, someone took an interesting concept of a thriller and turned it into a PG-13 horror movie. Wah-waaaaahh.



10) Friday Night Lights
This has to be one of the worst shows I've ever seen. Maybe it's because I'm from a small town that I hated. Maybe it's because this show is far too melodramatic for me. I don't see the appeal. Speaking of not seeing the appeal, this photo set really speaks to me:



Comments

  1. Oh... I really like some of those things (e.g. Mad Men, The Tree of Life, How I Met Your Mother), but I understand what you mean. I too was disappointed with The Antichrist, can't see what the hype is about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antichrist was so terrible. I think I would like HIMYM if Josh Radnor wasn't in it. I've seen episodes focused on the other characters, and it's been pretty good. But he kind of ruins it for me.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE Friday Night Lights. It made me watch American football that I hated earlier. Easily one of the best series I have seen. Similarly, Grave of the Fireflies. Love everything about it.

    But I completely agree with HIMYM, Antichrist and Tree of Life. First couple of seasons of HIMYM were amusing but by the end of 4th, I was terribly bored. And my problem with both Antichrist and Tree of life is they were made unreachable purposely. I don't see why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen of these movies/TV shows Brittani. But I do agree with what I have seen.

    How I Met Your Mother started off well It was quite innovative. But now it's degraded to the point where even Barney has stopped being awesome! and that says a lot.

    And I still can't figure out if The Amazing Spiderman was a Reboot or a Remake? It seemed very similar to the first movie of Sam Raimi's trilogy.

    Awesome list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree on The Amazing Spider-Man, which was completely unnecessary. I haven't seen all of The Boondock Saints, but I doubt I'd call it the best movie ever. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on The Amazing Spider-Man. It's way too early to be rebooting a good franchise to begin with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum