Indie Gems: Hello I Must Be Going

Poor Amy.

Amy (Melanie Lynskey) was recently blind sided by a divorce. She isn't coping well. Her parents (Blythe Danner and John Rubinstein) have let her stay at their place, which she hasn't left for 3 months, but they aren't really that supportive. When her father hosts a possible business partner, Amy is drawn to this client's 19 year old son, Jeremy. (Christopher Abbott) After a moment of passion, they hit it off and have a secret affair.

Melanie Lynskey is such an underrated actress. She carries this films. She made me feel so bad for Amy. I just wanted to reach through the screen and give her a hug, but at the same time she made me laugh, and ultimately feel very proud of Amy at the end. I felt like I could really relate to her, and that is definitely thanks to Lynskey's performance.

At first, the idea of Jeremy and Amy together seemed kind of random. They literally start out of no where, but as the film progresses it's easy to see why these two souls need each other. I just watched another comedy on divorce, Celeste and Jesse Forever. That one made their divorce seem easy, this one made it seem very real. I've never gone through a divorce myself, but I think if I did, this is a movie I'd want to watch to cope. It's nice to see someone like Amy find herself and succeed after getting the rug pulled up from under her.

Grade: B+

Memorable Quote: "Where the fuck is bottom?" - Amy (Melanie Lynskey)

Comments

  1. "Where the fuck is bottom?" Damn, I know that feeling. :-) Thanks for this recommendation. I was impressed with this actress in Heavenly Creatures. I'm adding this to my list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum